Two days in a row! Went and worked out on Wednesday (9/14) (Turns out waking up early makes you want to go to bed and sleep at a decent hour. Biggest struggle I have right now is not wanting to eat everything in sight as my body gets used to working out. Class in the mornings are really small, both classes so far have been three people (including me).
Turkish Get Up (5×3 each arm) Weighted shoulder rolls 15# kettle bells
Pistols (5×3 each leg) Focused on skill, one legged squats, foot behind ankle
Paused Front Squat (6×3) 75#
*3sec at the bottom
Metcon – 2+161
60 Double Unders 120 Single Unders
40 Slamballs 40/30 – 20#
20 Front Rack Lunges 95/65 – 15#
*Alternating legs for lunges
Obviously, TGUs weren’t going to work for me both from the balancing arm or the arm pushing the weight up. Focused on mobility for that one. I liked the modification for the pistols, really great practice balancing a squat on one leg.
I *thought* I was going “light” for the squats because I was about to travel – but turns out 75# gets pretty heavy when doing that three second squat at the bottom. Squats were tough, but were a ton of fun. I heart squats so much.
The metcon was, in a word…terrible. I thought that the walking lunges (albeit a very low barbell weight) were going to be the worst part – turns out picking up and slamming down a 20# slamball over and over again sucks. EXHAUSTING. I did single unders, have never used a speed rope before (that’s all they had) and couldn’t get my rhythm for double unders with them. I think I also had too short of a rope, so need to figure that one out.
Left for the rest of the week for business travel and a visit up to Boston. Not feeling particularly well, but hoping to make it to class tomorrow morning.
Evening classes are not conducive to working out for me. There are so many things that I would rather do or have to do that enable me to avoid working out. I used to be a hard-core 6:30AM 4x / week (at least) crossfitter. I needed to have a conversation with myself about starting that back up again. This means going to bed early, not watching television (while in bed) until all hours of the night (my Switched at Birth marathoning will have to wait…) Woke-up at 5:55am this morning – I spent a good 10 minutes laying there, justifying why I didn’t need to go to the 6:30AM class. Here are a few of my excuses:
- Mable (my cat) wants some extra cuddle time. I’m not home all the time, and she deserves it.
- I’m traveling at the end of the week. This will ruin my routine – I should just wait until I get back next week to start up.
- Today will be a long day at work. I need the extra rest.
- My bed is so comfortable.
- Did I mention that Mable wanted to hang out with me?
- My ankle hurts.
- Good Morning America is about to start and I love Robin Roberts.
Turns out Mable was in the other room not wanting to hang out with me and all the other shit was just noise. I dragged myself out of bed and headed out to workout. Warm up, we did inch worms and my shoulder was bugging me a bit on the half-way push-ups – so needed to modify for Metcon part of the workout.
Small class, Wes (one of the owners) was coaching. Workout below:
Snatch High Pull +
Snatch (1RM) Snatch Pull Off the Ground – 35#
*high pull to chest
*quick reset after high pull
to find max skill work
Bench Press (6×3) – 45#
Metcon – Score 108
15min AMRAP Ladder
Ring Push Ups Wall push-ups
10 Deadlifts – 65#
Ring Push Ups Wall push-ups
12 Deadlifts – 65#
Ring Push Ups Wall push-ups
14 Deadlifts – 65#
*Starting at 10 add 2 reps after every run
*Add 100m to every run
*100m = 1rep
Snatch pulls felt good. Need to engage the hips a bit more. Barbell work means scuffed up legs again. Good look, right? I think I’ll go a bit heavier next time. As a policy to keep me from going too crazy with the OLY lifts, I’m limiting myself to the 15# bar for the first month or so while I ease back into it.
Wasn’t sure how much to go on for the bench press. 45# seemed heavy enough, again, didn’t want to push it. The Metcon was modified due to the shoulder stuff, but was a great workout. The run part was … well … me running – so blargh. Ended up with 108 reps (finished my run just as time ran out on my 18 rep ladder). I forgot how much you engage your hammies and core for deadlifts and your core for the push-ups (even on the wall). Definitely trying to sit with good posture today as slumping will make for a very unhappy girl tomorrow. Other than being sore from the workout, really glad that I worked out. I forgot how much a morning workout can set the tone for the day.
Meow & greetings friends. Those of you who still follow this blog know that it’s been a long time since I’ve updated this blog. The hope is that I start updating it fairly regularly. It’s been a crazy 8 months and for those of you that missed me, here’s what’s what. List form is what’s easiest, so that’s what you’ll get!
- I stopped my consulting gig at Electronic Sports League in Burbank, CA and therefore stopped working out at Angelino Crossfit. If you live in the Valley Village area, great community and coaches – highly recommend you check it out.
- I took at full-time job as Turner Sports General Manager of ELEAGUE and VP, eSports
- I moved to Atlanta, GA for said job.
- Niko (husband) and I are doing the long-distance thing for awhile – hard to be away from him for long periods of time – but technology (FaceTime) makes things a ton easier. We have a house in the suburbs and an apartment in the city like any modern couple.
- Moving Feynman, Lily, or Hobo (the gatos) would be disruptive to them, so they are living in our Boston-area home with Niko. I miss them.
- Niko is far better and awesome-er at Crossfit than I ever was. He’s still a member at Crossfit Craic.
- I am WOEFULLY out of shape. I had shoulder surgery over a year ago and have essentially zero upper body strength.
- I joined Crossfit Peachtree, which is right down the street from me in Atlanta
- I have a cat roommate that I adopted from the Atlanta Humane Society and her name is Mable.
- I turn 40 next year and my goal is to be in the best shape of my life by the time that date comes around.
As always, this blog will be filled with a heavy dose of crossfit / workout udpates, cat related topics, and other life sundries here and there. Hope you enjoy. Next post will be about my first two workouts at Crossfit Peachtree.
Some of the ELEAGUE Crew
Mable Basil Alejandre